Beads, Studs......Oh Whatever

I was looking at this tutorial from Traffic Alone and it made me wonder if there is a cheaper alternative to adding those fancy metal studs/beads to a gunpla.
Then I thought about beads, they're small and they're made of plastics(I could even use cement to secure them in the holes).

This is the tutorial by Traffic Alone on how to install those studs.

This is my version using beads.
I bought a pack of beads from Daiso. It comes in various colors.
The ones that I'm particularly interested in are the transparent silvery ones.
They are 2mm in diameter.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I drilled a 2mm hole and then widen it a little until the bead could fit in.
I tried it on a dark grey tree.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then on a white tree.
The yellow bead was tested to see if it could be attached to the tree using cement, and it does.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you find that the bead is much too transparent. You can try painting the other end of the bead silver in color so that the front end of the bead would appear more opaque.
I'd be looking out for nicer coloured beads in the future.

*Eureka*
Maybe thicker duller opaque beads could be used to make the wire tubings found on Zakus.
Then they could be threaded using a wire and bent to any desired shapes.

***Updated***
After a day of sourcing for materials, the perfect beads were found and this is briefly what can be done.
The holes just needs to be sanded smoother.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Looking forward to putting this technique to good use in my future works.

***Updated***
Found better looking beads at a shop called Golden Dragon in Chinatown(Opp Chinatown Point).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It looks more metallic and more solid like a rivet.
S$4.20 for pack of countless beads. Haha.

Comments

Popular Posts