The Rubbing Compound Experiment

Objectives:
To investigate the effectiveness of different types of rubbing compounds and if possible, discover a cost effective solution.
Test subject: back of a CD jewel case
Test color: Anchor spray paint - Black
Pre-rubbing treatment:
Mr. Hobby primer>3 mist coats Anchor black>wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper>1 wet coat Anchor black

After I opened my newly bought Gunze Sangyo rubbing compound, I took a whiff of it(i like smelling chemicals which are foreign to me, haha) and I immediately know that Autosol is a highly possible alternative. Cow had previously discussed with me about Autosol too.
Some online sites also mentioned about using toothpaste to do fine sanding, so I'm gonna give it a go as well.

Pix are taken with a hobby knife on the surface so that I could see the reflectiveness of the surface as well as to enable the digicam to have a focus point.

The rubbing compounds being investigated are:
- Gunze Sangyo Rubbing Compound 1000
- Autosol no.1000
- Toothpaste

The compound is applied using a cotton T-shirt and rubbed on the surface in a circular motion until it becomes foggy and sticky. Then it is wiped clean with a fresh portion of the cloth to reveal the shine.

Here we go......(click to enlarge images)

Untreated surface.


Gunze Sangyo Rubbing Compound 1000


Autosol no.1000


Toothpaste.


Some other pieces that I've polished it up.





Conclusion:
Gunze Sangyo Rubbing Compound gave the best results.
Followed by Autosol. Toothpaste shouldn't be used unless you want a matt finish, haha.
I believe that if there was a 2nd wet coat before applying the rubbing compound, the finishing can be shinier.

Comments

WILLIAM TAN said…
what can I say!!??
you are a genius, nacho!!

Popular Posts